Foodsaver 2 in 1 – The most handy vacuum sealer for canning jars
Canning jars are used to preserve food through the methods of pickling and canning. These methods employ the use of a vacuum sealer to seal in the food inside the jar. To do the job right, you need a vacuum sealer that has a port for use of attachments to jar sealers. The FoodSaver 4840 2 in 1 is a versatile unit that can do a conventional seal of plastic bags, and has a built-in handheld sealer for use on canning jars or mason jars. In addition, this model is especially useful for liquid foods; you will get good results when canning your marinated meat in sauce and so that the Foodsaver is a good vacuum sealer for your sous vide.
The FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1
As a channel vacuum sealer, it can be used to seal food in plastic bags and plastic rolls that can be customized into bags. These are its other features:
- Automatic bag detection;
- Built-in roll storage and cutter;
- Automatic seal settings – moist or dry. It detects the kind of food inside the bag and adjusts the vacuum power;
- Drip tray to catch drips. Also dishwasher-friendly;
- Automatic detection when the drip tray is filled and has to be removed and emptied;
- Can seal up to 11inches wide bag;
- The unit kit comes with various sizes of bags and rolls.
The second feature, the handheld vacuum sealer has these features:
- It is conveniently located at the front of the unit for easy access;
- It is retractable, similar to the hose;
- It can vacuum seal mason jars, glass containers and marinators.
What you need to purchase to complete the kit for use on mason jars:
- FoodSaver jar sealer that comes either wide-mouth or regular size;
- Mason jars – as big as 64 oz. and as small as 4 oz. Choose one size so there would be no confusion. The size has to be the same with the size of your attachment.
The magic of canning
Canning is a process where the food is cooked in high heat and then placed inside a closed container to preserve the food. The closed container usually used is glass, which handles heat better than plastic. Glass also does not stain, and retain the smell of the food.
To preserve the food, the container is vacuum sealed using a vacuum sealer. Containers usually used are glass jars or mason jars.
There are two ways of doing canning:
- Water bath method is best for jams, jellies, tomatoes, vegetables and acidic foods;
- Pressure method uses a special pressure-canning equipment, and can be used for low-acid foods like vegetables and meats.
How to prepare jars for canning
The first step of the canning process is the canning itself. It starts with preparing the jars for canning:
- Use hot, soapy water to wash the jars, lids and bands;
- Rinse and drain with the mouth down;
- Use a canner or a big, deep pot to sterilize the jars;
- Fill the canner or pot with water;
- Put the jars in the rack and lower into the pot;
- Put lid on and simmer over medium heat;
- Keep the jars hot until you are ready to use them;
- In a separate sauce pan, put the lids in to sterilize;
- Put enough water to cover it;
- Bring to a simmer, but do not boil;
- Keep it hot until ready to use;
- Only the jars and lids are to be sterilized, not the bands.
How to use handheld vacuum sealer for mason jars
- Fill the washed and sterilized mason jars with food. Leave at least an inch from the mouth;
- Cover the mouth with the lid (not the band);
- Put the attachment (shaped like a top hat) onto the top of the jar. You would know if it is a good fit when you can’t see the neck of the jar;
- Connect the handheld vacuum sealer with the attachment;
- Start the vacuum seal by pressing the button to start. It will automatically stop once full vacuum seal has been achieved.
Remember, the proper equipment will make your job way easier so get the FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1. The handheld vacuum sealer will work canning magic with mason jars. On top of that, it can still be used as conventional vacuum sealer for plastic bags and rolls. FoodSaver 4840 just gives you more sealing options.